Instead of building expensive wells that still require hours spent each day walking to distribution points, our approach is to build these life-changing reservoirs at individual homes to serve not only that family but others around it.
The cost to build a reservoir is $2500 and our commitment is to have it built within 45 days. With all reservoirs, local community members are engaged in the building process, further supporting income in these rural areas. Reservoir partners receive information on the recipient family including family photos and GPS coordinates as to where their home is located in Haiti along with photos and updates as the reservoir is being built. Partners are also offered the opportunity to dedicate their reservoirs with a personal painted message.
THE IMPACT YOUR RESERVOIR WILL MAKE
The 61 reservoirs YOU have helped us build are beginning to loosen the chain of poverty that binds so many in these areas.
With water readily available at their homes, there is evidence of improved livelihoods and most importantly, hope for a better future.
Impacts we are already seeing:
- Over 100 children are now able to spend more time in school as less time is spent collecting water.
- Women in these communities are saving anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours a day not having to travel to collect water, opening the opportunity for other income generating ventures.
- Sustainable agriculture is now possible for reservoir recipients as families are able to water crops during the dry season.
- Families are seeing increased production of crops due to the availability of water resulting in more income generated.
- Women and children, the primary family members responsible for collecting water, are safer as they are no longer walking long, often dangerous distances over steep terrain to collect water.
- The community is healthier due to a decrease in water related diseases, as clean water practice training is implemented with each reservoir.