Lip care is important, yet it’s not something that crosses everyone’s mind. You may know to wash and moisturize your face or take care of the hair each morning and night, but is lip care also something you perform on a daily basis? If preventing signs of aging on your skin
is already a goal, then remember to also take care of your lips. After all, who doesn’t love having soft, plumped lips? Here are four tips for creating a consistent lip care routine.
1. Drink Water to Stay Hydrated
We all know that drinking water is important for many health reasons
. It can help control your appetite, soften your skin and fine lines, as well as helps keep your lips soft and supple. If your lips are dry or cracked, that’s a sign of dehydration and that your body needs more water. According to the Institute of Medicine, women should drink 104 ounces of water per day
. That’s 13 cups of water. Space out your water consumption throughout the day and enjoy better looking skin and lips!
2. Apply Balms and Masks
Just like applying moisturizer helps your skin stay soft and ageless, adding a nice lip balm to your lips a few times a day can help keep aging at bay while making them soft. For the most natural remedy, elect for a simple lip balm or body balm and avoid ingredients like menthol and eucalyptus, as they can lead to further lip irritation if you already have chapped lips.
Lip masks have begun popping up in beauty stores all over the world. They are like face masks, except they are applied just to the lips. There are lip masks for every sort of lip problem, and these can help heal and soften the lips in just a twenty-minute period.
3. Use a DIY Lip Scrub
Using a lip exfoliator regularly helps to remove dead skin and encourage the skin regeneration process. There are many lip scrubs on the market, but it’s relatively easy to create a homemade one as well. To create a moisturizing DIY lip scrub, combine sugar, Vaseline® and olive oil in a resealable, air-tight container. You can fund custom lip scrub formulas online: here’s a popular recipe
from The Honest Company!
Some of the best lip scrubs on the market include the cult favorite, LUSH. Many online reviews praise its exfoliation power. One reviewer remarks, “It really is a miracle worker.” Lip scrubs are found in many drugstores and beauty supply stores all over the country, so they should be easy to find.
4. Stimulate Collagen with Red Light Therapy
Light therapy is popular for handling acne
, and other skin condition
s. In particular, red light therapy is used to stimulate collagen growth
to treat signs of aging on the face and body, among other uses. Red LED lip devices, meanwhile, are used to stimulate collagen production on the lips and around the mouth, increasing the firmness of these areas. The result is more plump and softer lips and a more youthful appearance around the perioral area of the face.
reVive Light Therapy® Lip Care
has received positive results from several reviewers, including Vogue.com
. Users of the device report that it helps increase lip fullness, as well as decreasing fine lines and age spots around the mouth.
“I saw a considerable difference in the size of my lips.” – Reviewer for Health.com
Adding lip care to your anti-aging or beauty routine can help support fuller, softer lips for a more desirable appearance. If lip care wasn’t on your to-do list before today, it will be now!
- (1) Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate. Institute of Medicine Panel on Dietary Reference Intakes for Electrolytes and Water, Standing Committee on the Scientific Evaluation of Dietary Reference Intakes Washington, D.C. National Academies Press 2005.
- (2) Palma, Lídia et al. “Dietary Water Affects Human Skin Hydration and Biomechanics.” Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology 8 (2015): 413–421. PMC.
- (3) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Get the Facts: Drinking Water and Intake.” Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. CDC.gov.
- (4) Wunsch, Alexander et al. “A Controlled Trial to Determine the Efficacy of Red and Near-Infrared Light Treatment in Patient Satisfaction, Reduction of Fine Lines, Wrinkles, Skin Roughness, and Intradermal Collagen Density Increase.” Photomed Laser Surg. 2014 Feb 1; 32(2): 93–100.